Second star to the right...

Lately, I've been enjoying a break from schoolwork. It's been quite a novelty to have so much free time on my hands. Of course, I've been taking full advantage of this situation, and have been spending a good portion of time reading as many "children's" novels as possible. Have you ever noticed that most classic children's books aren't really children's books at all? I often find them to be deeper and more insightful than other books.

Naturally, the first book on my list was one that I hadn't read before. Even more naturally, the second book on my list was an old favorite that I hadn't read in several years. Most natural of all, the third book on my list... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's stop with the second book. As soon as I finished the first book on the list, I turned to the second book. And what else should it be but Peter and Wendy?

It's been quite a while since I've jumped out the window and flown away to never-land, but the trip was just as enjoyable as it was when I was a child. Of course, not everyone has the same never-land, and I do think it is a bit confusing that Barrie seems to believe that every imaginative child dreams of the same never-land and the same Peter Pan. My own never-land has nothing to do with crocodiles, pirates, or indians, and I was led there by a flock of winged-dear, not a flying boy.

All the same, it was quite an adventure to take a peek into someone else's adventures. If you haven't done so recently, you should. And why not start with that book sitting on the shelf, the one you've been longing to read, but haven't because someone's told you it's only for children? You'll probably find that you enjoy it much more now than you ever did before.

For myself, I'm going to take another trip to never-land. Maybe I'll meet you there- second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.

Comments